Can you help me as I get ready for Sunday?
This will be my 3rd service at Vermont Hills UMC – but it is the first gathering that will be built around conversation. The first week was a holiday weekend so I just introduced myself casually. Last week was a big communion week. This week we are moving the communion table and replacing it with a coffee table.
Would be willing answer 3 questions for me as I prepare to facilitate that conversation:
- What is the biggest change that you have seen in society during your lifetime?
- What has changed the most for you in the past 20 years?
- What is one change that you would undo if you could?
My three answers would be something like:
1. The role of religion in public life.
2. Discovering Second Naïveté mid-preaching career.
3. TV in the living room and iPhones at the breakfast table.
I would love to hear your 3 answers.
July 15, 2017 at 5:07 am
Letâs try this againâ¦
Technology explosion, and its impact on how people interact (or donât, really).
I became a mom almost 20 years ago. This changes me every day, and I donât always like it.
The 2016 elections.
July 15, 2017 at 4:47 pm
I’m probably the wrong side of the pond for your target audience, but:-
1. The shift in the 80s from a caring society to an individualistic one (though yours would be close – 60 years ago, it was a sensible question to ask which church your classmate’s parents went to, now that question would brand you as slightly abnormal).
2. Discovering that I was probably a Christian, for some value of “Christian”.
3. The shift from caring to individualistic, because that was also a shift from a secure feeling to fear.