I am doing an interesting experiment this Fall. A group of us are going to preach through the Gospel of Luke together by collaborating the sermon prep. Some of us will be in a room together in Portland and others will join via Skype.
I have always enjoyed collaborative projects and I really enjoy sermon prep so I am hoping that it is doubly enjoyable to combine them!
There are two wrinkles that I am looking forward to:
- We are saving the nativity story for Advent (December) so we will begin the series in September with Chapter 3 of the Gospel.
- One top of the NT Wright ‘Luke For Everyone”, each of us is reading a different commentary and then bringing that unique resource to the prep table.
- What did Luke’s original audience hear?
- What has this passage come to mean since then?
- What is the most that this text can mean in the 21st century?
Luke: Preaching Gospel
8th 1:1-4 Intro: 4 Gospels 1 Jesus
15th 3: 1-20 Voices in the Wilderness
22nd 3: 21-38 Where did you come from?
29th 4: 1-29 Trusting God – Rejected by Humans
6th 4: 31-44 Healing Inside and Out
13th 5: 1-11 Go Deep (Discipleship)
20th 5:12-31 Restored and Repaired
27th 5:33-6:11 Rules and Religion
3rd 6:12-36 Raising Expectations
10th 6:37-49 Compare and Contrast
17th 7:1-17 Life is Tough
24th 7: 18-50 Two Different Lives
1st 1:5-45 Setting the Scene
8th 1:46-80 Songs of Hope
15th 2:2-20 Event Horizon
22nd 2:22-40 Promises Seen
29th 2: 41-52 House and Temple
5th 8: 1-21 Growing and Belonging
12th 8: 22-39 Power and Grace
19th 8: 40-56 Daughters Restored
26th 9: 1-23 Mid-Term Exam (now you try)